Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Week One Down....Just the Beginning!

Okay, I started my quest to lose weight last week, officially weighing myself and joining Weight Watchers last Tuesday. So, today, I weighed myself to check in and see how my progress was. I have lost TEN pounds! I about had a heart attack when I stepped on the scale. Not from shock, but excitement. Weight Watchers was a helpful start for me, but again, my cousin Karen brought something to my attention. A little book called "Thin Within" by Judy Halliday, RN and her husband, Dr. Arthur Halliday, MD. On the cover of the book, it is described as "A Grace-Oriented Approach to Lasting Weight Loss."
I picked it up at the local library this past weekend and have immersed myself in it. I like this approach to weight loss because it isn't about food deprivation and harboring resentment for not being able to enjoy what you want. It is about addressing the issue within...why you feel compelled to overindulge and lie to others, yourself, and even God, about your intentions when it comes to eating. I feel God led my cousin to remind me about the book, which she had read in a blog that I happen to follow. He knew I would listen to her and look into it, since she said she had begun to read it. I also knew He led me to it because of what happened Saturday night. When asked about a choice of what to have for dinner, I told my husband that Chinese food sounded good. It was cheap, and yummy, and you get a lot of bang for your buck. In some dishes, you even get extra carbs, fat, other bad things, etc. Between a lack of funds and an "I know you know better look from my husband," I opted for a Weight Watchers version of Broccoli and Beef as well as Fried Rice. I was glad to get to have Chinese food, but when it came to dividing the food up and dishing up my own serving, I got mad because I had to measure. I know it's childish and ridiculous. And I felt the hand of God on my shoulder and after a while the resentment and anger went away. I was glad to be able to make something so yummy. Right after dinner, I threw myself into Thin Within and put Weight Watchers by the wayside. This was clearly a heart issue. I have managed to work out every other day, which also aids in the weight loss, but I know that through God's grace, I will lose the weight and achieve my goals :) Thank you for hanging in there with me. This is only the beginning. And I hope that you will give this book a look, especially if you are trying to lose weight or find yourself chronically dieting. There is help out there. And our Helper is omnipotent. And He always has our back, as long as we let Him! See you all next week! Hilly

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I'm proud of you. I know many who have had great results with Weight Watchers and I have the book "Thin Within". Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job, Hillary! That is so amazing! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! I am proud of you! Love you!

    ReplyDelete